- There are several goals of MIS program.
- First is to provide the highest quality surgical care for general surgical patients utilizing wherever appropriate the technique of minimally invasive surgery.
- Second is the education of residents and practicing surgeons in the basic and advanced concepts of minimally invasive surgery including the use of physical and virtual reality simulators to accomplish this goal.
- Next is to carry out an ongoing program of quality assurance and quality improvement including the documentation of outcomes of patients undergoing minimally invasive surgery by the full time members of this section.
- And, finally, the advancement of the field of minimally invasive surgery through a program of scientific research.